Licensing of Private Investigators in the UK
The Parliamentary Home Affairs Select Committee report has now been published.
The Report makes a number of recommendations to Parliament, which includes:
1. The term “Private Investigator” be protected for use by those regulated.
2. An introduction of a two-tier system of licensing of private investigators and private detective companies and registration of others undertaking investigative work.
3. The government is to consider granting privileged access to certain data for licensed investigators.
4. There should be a training regime for investigators based on the knowledge of the legal constraints that govern the industry.
5. The Committee feels that there should be a 12-month cooling off period before a retiring police officer can obtain a licence.
What do we think?